Saturday, March 23, 2013

BOM are the bomb!!!

In the true nature of a crafter I started another quilt before finishing a WIP (my husband is shaking his head).  I was looking through lots of blogs and came across BOMs and QALs.  Yea I've been waiting to use some quilting jargons.  What I like about them is its a step by step tutorial that you can work at your own pace and you can really start at anytime you want even if it's over.  The only drawback of starting one after everyone else is finished is you don't get to link up with everyone with your own results.  Another type of BOM I came across were the ones offered by bloggers connected to a fabric store that would send you a pattern and fabric once a month which sounds pretty cool but its a bit out of my price range right now.

So I've finally decided just to dive into one instead of saying "one day".  This is the first BOM I'm following, it started in January so there has been three blocks already but I think I can catch up.  Here's the fabric I pulled for this first block:



And here's my first block assembled but not stitched yet.  As you can see I changed the middle piece, the other one just wasn't looking so good in this setting.



I decided to do 12" blocks

Have you done any BOMs or QALs lately?  Any recommendations for a beginner?  Here's one called Virtual Quilting Bee and a Row Along.  There's one more that involves a charm pack and linen but I can't find it anymore, does anyone know what I'm talking about?











1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the Quilters Club of America BOM Quilting Bee! The host gives two blocks per month, an easy one and a more challenging one, which is great for me because I'd like to make a queen size quilt.

    Great blog and block!

    ReplyDelete